The Singleton of Glen Ord was launching in South East Asia and looking to disrupt the single malt whisky category.
Moving away from the stuffy and old image of other malts, The Singleton looked to position itself as an accessible choice for younger drinkers.
The Global Brand Team sought to create digital content that could cross borders easily and add a spark to the tried and true format of a whisky tasting.
Leverage the Epicurean market at Marina Bay Sands to communicate the flavours of The Singleton in a multi-sensory way.
Harness 360 sight and sound to enhance the experience of a live whisky tasting, while telling the story of the brand in a unique and memorable way.
- Create a two minute VR experience taking consumers to the home of The Singleton of Glen Ord and into the world’s first virtual whisky tasting.
- Allows consumers to nose, taste and appreciate the whisky in their hand, guided by an experienced whisky ambassador from Scotland.
- Provides the language for drinkers to describe and talk about the flavours they can discern in this world-class single malt.
After a review of the VR & 360 work executed for Scotch Whisky brands to date, we spoke to Diageo’s Malts Ambassador Donald Colville to research the heritage and tasting notes of The Singleton (covering three variants; Glen Ord, Dufftown & Glendullan).
We crafted a lively and engaging script for the narrator to guide the viewer on a fantastic whisky journey, and recorded it with an authentic Scottish voice actor.
We created an entire 360 degree world using CG animation, which enabled us to fly the viewer above the Scottish Highlands and deliver the brand’s promise of ‘Immediate Pleasure’.
We focussed the messaging on taste by communicating the nose, palate and finish of the whisky, providing an enjoyable and multi-sensory experience to accompany the visual journey.
The project was initially rolled out in Singapore in a 3 day event. At the event, experienced Brand Ambassadors invited thousands of consumers to try the VR whisky tasting experience.
Each guest was invited to purchase a bottle of The Singleton.
- 85% of consumers found that the VR journey enhanced their whisky tasting experience.
- One in five people who tried the VR journey went on to purchase a bottle of The Singleton there on the spot.
- This high 20% conversion rate was double that of regular whisky tastings.
- After a successful roll-out in Singapore, we delivered three more variations of the content:
- With tasting notes tailored to The Singleton of Dufftown for Europe.
- With tasting notes tailored to The Singleton of Glendullan for the USA.
- With The Singleton of Glen Ord voice over translated and voiced in Mandarin Chinese.
- The Singapore activation has been subsequently followed up in Malaysia, South Africa, Europe and the USA at latest count.